National Honor Society
Invitations are generally e-mailed to students starting in early October. Please check your DOE email address regularly.
The National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to honor those students who demonstrate excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership, character and service.
The four main purposes outlined in the NHS constitution have guided chapters from the beginning: “To create enthusiasm for scholarship, to stimulate a desire to render service, to promote leadership and to develop character in the students of secondary schools.”
At Edward R. Murrow High School, NHS has over 100 members and is one of the largest clubs.
In order to be eligible for NHS you must:
- Be in your Sophomore or Junior year
- Have a 90 average
- Have 13 credits (Sophomore) or 26 credits (Junior)
If you are eligible you will get an invitation to join and tell you about an invitee meeting. At this meeting you learn about the application process. Applications are due at the end of October. Once we receive your application, the Faculty Council will review it.
I'm a Freshman, what can I do now?
- Monitor for a teacher or office
- Be part of a club
- Volunteer outside of school
- Keep your grades above 90
What are the requirements of a NHS member at ERMHS?
Once you are a member you will have to meet the following obligations:
Meetings will be held typically on the first Friday of the month. Attendance at meetings is not mandatory. However, important information will be distributed at meetings and there will be opportunities to earn additional points at meetings. Dates of all meetings (virtual and in person) are posted on Google Classroom.
Our annual Dance a Thon: All members are required to attend and raise money. You should also encourage your friends at Murrow to join you. More information and sponsor sheets will be distributed as the event nears. You will earn points for participating.
Induction will take place in late March or early April. All members are required to attend. Lack of attendance will lead to removal from NHS.
- Sophomores and Juniors (Seniors will not be charged) will be required to pay $10 dues after induction (April-June).
- Seniors will be charged $17 on top of their Senior Dues in the beginning of their Senior Year. (Seniors will not be charged dues at the end of their Senior year)
- The school's treasury office (Room 150) will receive payments.
- This money pays for our annual chapter dues, induction costs and NHS sash for graduation.
Google Classroom Join Code: nghesb4
Please only join if you were accepted or inducted to Murrow's chapter of NHS.