Class of 2022
College Prep Checklist
Senior Year - Semester 1
- Meet with your guidance counselor to make sure you are on track for graduation. Check if you are missing classes or credits required by schools you're applying to. Plan to work really hard this term, because your first semester (mid year) will be included for review.
- Complete the Family Income Inquiry Form (Lunch Form). https://www.myschoolapps.com/
- Did you meet with Ms. Salowitz-Allone or Ms. Alter to discuss your college options yet? If you haven't done so, be sure to fill out the Brag Sheet & Bio ASAP in Naviance.
- Solidify your list of college choices.
- Create an account with NAVIANCE Family Connection if you haven't already done so.
- Register for the SAT/ACT at www.collegeboard.org or www.actstudent.org
- For Early Action/Early decision the latest to take the SAT/ACT would be November. For Regular Decision the latest to take the SAT/ACT would be December, to be included for college applications.
- January Graduates applying for Spring Admissions must complete the CUNY application by September 15, 2021. All other colleges have a deadline of October 4, 2021.
- If you have not joined the College Office Google Classroom, please join using code qcusdt5 (you can only join with your nycstudents.net email)
- Early Decision or Early Action candidates must notify Ms. Salowitz-Allone by October 4, 2021 the latest. You have fast approaching deadlines!
- If applying Early Decision or Early Action, check to see if the school requires the CSS Profile. Visit www.collegeboard.org for further information.
- Research scholarships. Create a Fastweb account at www.fastweb.com to apply to an array of free scholarships. Check the College Office Google Classroom for additional free scholarship websites.
- Finalize your college essay.
- Start working on your applications online.
- Begin listing your college choices in Naviance under "Colleges I'm applying to".
- Create an account with CUNY at www.cuny.edu. Create an account with SUNY at www.suny.edu.
- Create an account with the Common Application at www.commonapp.org for use of applying to most private colleges and out of state colleges. (Please do not add CUNY or SUNY colleges on the common application.)
- Did you assign teachers in the "recommender's section" of Naviance? Remember to speak to your teachers in person first.
- Be sure to attend your scheduled appointment with Ms. Salowitz-Allone/Ms. Alter to review and finalize all online applications (schedule TBA).
- Have you signed the FERPA Privacy Waiver on the Common Application yet? You must then match your Common Applicaition with your Naviance account. If this step is not complete, the College Office WILL NOT have access to processing your application online.
- Contact an admissions counselor of the school you wish to attend. Colleges want to know how much you want them. However, don't be overly aggressive!
- Have you sent your test scores through the testing agency? SAT's www.collegeboard.com; ACT www.actstudent.org.
- Start the financial aid process immediately. Complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.gov. Complete the CSS Profile if needed.
- Finalize your college list on Naviance by November 29, 2021. This will allow the college office time to prepare your supporting documents as you complete your part of the application through December.
- PAY ATTENTION TO DEADLINES! The College Office encourages you to finalize all online applications by December 1, 2021 - December 31, 2021. This will increase your chances of acceptance to a particular major program, financial aid, scholarship and housing.
Senior Year - Semester 2
- Have you reported which colleges require mid year grades to the college office?
- Review your Student Aid Report (SAR), which is generated from the FAFSA.
- Finalize any last minute college applications by the beginning of the month.
- Set up an interview with the college. After the interview, write a thank you note.
- Complete the FAFSA by February 1, 2022.
- As you receive your college admissions decisions, please make sure to hold on to the letters. The College Office requires a copy of this documentation.
- Colleges, if they have not already done so, will notify you of their decisions.
- Evaluate your financial aid package with the cost of attendance. Contact the Financial Aid Office at the college with questions.
- Determine the college you plan to attend and send a deposit by May 1, 2022 (National Deposit Day). The College Office will require a receipt of your deposit.
- Submit all letters of acceptance and rejection to the College Office. Notify the College Office of your final college decision.
- Fill out the Post Graduation Survey provided by the College Office.
Congratulations! You're off to College!