Class of 2024
College Prep Checklist
Senior Year - Semester 1
- Meet with your guidance counselor to make sure you are on track for graduation. Check if you are missing classes or credits required by schools you're applying to. Plan to work really hard this term, because your first semester (mid year) will be included for review.
- Did you meet with Ms. Salowitz-Allone, Ms. Pantelatos or Ms. Alter to discuss your college options yet? If not, please come to the College and Career Office.
- To see if you are eligible for fee waivers, please complete the Family Income Inquiry Form (Lunch Form). https://www.myschoolapps.com/
- Solidify your list of college choices and add each college you are applying to on Naviance.
- If you need your Naviance reset, please email [email protected] or stop by the College and Career Office.
- Did you assign teachers in the "recommender's section" of Naviance? Remember to speak to your teachers in person first.
- Work on your college essay.
- Register for the SAT/ACT at www.collegeboard.org or www.actstudent.org
- For Early Action/Early decision the latest to take the SAT/ACT would be October. For Regular Decision the latest to take the SAT/ACT would be December, to be included for college applications.
- January Graduates applying for Spring Admissions must complete the CUNY application by September 15, 2023. All other colleges, check their website for Spring 2023 admission deadlines.
- Early Decision or Early Action candidates must notify Ms. Salowitz-Allone or Ms. Pantelatos by September 29, 2023, the latest. A form must be filled out, which can be picked up in the College and Career office.
- If applying Early Decision or Early Action, check to see if the school requires the CSS Profile. Visit www.collegeboard.org for further information.
- Start working on your college applications online.
- Begin listing your college choices in Naviance under "Colleges I'm applying to"
- Have you signed the FERPA Privacy Waiver on the Common Application yet? You must then match your Common Applicaition with your Naviance account. If this step is not complete, the College Office WILL NOT have access to processing your application online.
- Research scholarships. Create a Fastweb account at www.fastweb.com to apply to an array of free scholarships. Check the College Office Google Classroom for additional free scholarship websites.
- Finalize your college essay.
- Contact an admissions counselor of the school you wish to attend. Colleges want to know how much you want them. However, don't be overly aggressive!
- Have you sent your test scores through the testing agency? SAT's www.collegeboard.com; ACT www.actstudent.org.
- Complete the CEE Profile if needed.
- Finalize your college list on Naviance by November 22, 2023. This will allow the college office time to prepare your supporting documents as you complete your part of the application through December.
- FAFSA/TAP applications open December 1, 2023. Start to create your FAFSA ID. Your parents/guardians will also need to create an account.
- If you are unsure if you are eligible for FAFSA/TAP, please stop by the College and Career Office.
- PAY ATTENTION TO DEADLINES! The College Office encourages you to finalize all online applications by December 1, 2023 - December 31, 2023. This will increase your chances of acceptance to a particular major program, financial aid, scholarship and housing.
Senior Year - Semester 2
- Review your Student Aid Report (SAR), which is generated from the FAFSA.
- Finalize any last minute college applications by the beginning of the month.
- As you receive your college admissions decisions and scholarship awards/offers, please make sure to hold on to the letters. The College Office requires a copy of this documentation.
- Colleges, if they have not already done so, will notify you of their decisions. Evaluate your financial aid package with the cost of attendance. Contact the Financial Aid Office at the college with questions.
- Determine the college you plan to attend and send a deposit by May 1, 2023 (National Deposit Day). The College Office will require a receipt of your deposit.
- Submit all letters of acceptance and rejection to the College Office. Notify the College Office of your final college decision.
- Fill out the Post Graduation Survey provided by the College Office.
Congratulations! You're off to College!